Local Nonprofit and Community Organizations
Comfort Heritage Foundation (CHF)
640 High Street
640 High St, Comfort, TX 78013, USA
Mission and Vision
CHF is a tax-exempt chartered foundation to promote and encourage, for the betterment of the community, the preservation and conservation of Comfort's historical heritage, including historical structures, archives, cultural values, traditions and its natural beauty.
Preserving our Comfort History and Heritage, supporting our Archives and caring for the Treue der Union Monument and Brownsboro Cemetery. CHF operates solely on a volunteer basis with dedicated members of the community.
The archives are open Tuesdays and Saturdays for assistance in research and to view local historical documents and artifacts. Hours of Operation are Tuesdays (9 a.m. - noon) and Saturdays (10 a.m. to noon, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.).
Saturdays 10:00am-12:00pm; 1:00-3:00pm
For a list of HISTORICAL MARKERS in the area, follow this link to our site: https://comfortheritagefoundation.org/index.php?M=Markers
Traditionally, the CHF sponsors several activities and events. These include:
• Awards given annually at the Foundation banquet for outstanding contributions to the preservation of the heritage and culture of Comfort based on the dictum that: `It is better to preserve than repair, better to repair than restore, better to restore than reconstruct.`
• The Summertime Tea is our primary fundraising event that has been a substantial benefit to the foundation and a tradition that has been beloved by the community for over fifteen years.
• During Christmas in Comfort, youngsters of all ages enjoy coming to the archives to decorate gingerbread cookies donated by membership.
• Along with local homeowners, CHF opens the doors to architectural history through public tours of privately owned homes biennially. This Tour of Homes benefits the operations of the Foundation.
• Maintaining and Preserving the Treue der Union Monument and Brownsboro Cemetery.
• The Foundation partners with Comfort Public Library to offer ancestry.com at no charge to its patrons.
• Membership Meetings (with Speaker Series) that educate with valuable historical information.
Organizations for Additional Research – These organizations support Kendall County's historical, natural, and cultural preservation efforts.
• Comfort Public Library
• Golden Age Center
• Kendall County Historical Commission
• Texas Historical Commission
• The Genealogical Society of Kendall County, Texas
640 High Street Comfort, TX 78013